Sunday, February 19, 2012

School? How about lions.

Monday marked the beginning of routine living (whatever that means) here in PE. Our schedule is simple: Monday and Tuesday mornings we go to service learning from 8:30 until 11:30. We have class each afternoon Monday through Thursday from 2:00 until 5:00. Monday I am taking a South African Jazz course, Tuesday is our Semester Abroad Seminar, Wednesday is South African Literature, and the week culminates with South African Politics. Much to our chagrin, we realized this week (after receiving our class syllabus') that our work load is going to be rather demanding. Oh ya, we are here to go to school. Easy to forget with the sunny and 75 weather, the beach, the safaris.. Did I mention we went on our first safari? While classes this week went well, the highlight of the week in my opinion was our day trip to Seaview Lion Park. Essentially the park is a zoo, with all the big cats fenced in, and the herbivores allowed to roam the property freely. We saw many of the classic African animals, and most of my friends paid to have the opportunity to pet and play with lion and tiger cubs. In addition to class and the safari, one of my professors (Gary Prevost is an SJU professor on paid research leave here in PE) took me and three other guys to the professional soccer game Wednesday night between the Kaizer Chiefs and the Jomo Cosmos. The PE World Cup stadium is BEAUTIFUL. The game was entertaining, and eye opening as well. Apparently, white South Africans in general LOVE the premier leagues of Europe, but do not support South African soccer in any way. We were the only white people in the stadium. And according to Gary, who has spent a number of years attending these games, that is the norm. However, if the stadium hosted a Rugby match, the building would be full to the rim with people of all colors. Just an interesting observation in post-apartheid South Africa. It was a great week, and I look forward to getting done with my homework, because next Saturday we are going on a REAL safari at Addo Elephant National Park! Feel free to send me any questions.

Love from PE, Andrew


My friend Margaret petting a Siberian Tiger


A lazy lion.


Look ma, first day of school pic, with my name tag and everything!



Lion King anyone?




Ryan and I at the stadium before the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment